Honest, I took this shot myself. With my iPhone. My OLD iPhone.
You are looking at the magnificent Gay Head Cliffs, up island, in Aquinnah, where I took the west coast folks yesterday. It was a bit breezy (think mistrals), but so, so beautiful.
The cliffs are a national landmark (I think they should be the 8th Wonder of the World). They’re made of clay, and the colors actually change with the light and the season. Magnificent striations of gold and silver are threaded throughout. Sometimes, from atop this viewing perch, you can see quick reflections if the sun hits them just right. Yesterday, alas, it did not, but no matter.
The cliffs are part of the Wampanoag Tribal lands, and no matter how often I go there, I can always find inspiration.
For those of you STILL without power, I am posting this today to help remind you that nature can do good stuff, too!!!
I have my own kind of Top 10 List. What to do when I’m bored. What to do when I’m happy. What to do when it’s sunny. Today’s selection is What to do when it’s raining, because it is absolutely pouring.
1. Go to the Edgartown Library!
2. Go to the movies.
3. Go to The Newes and sit by the fire with a bowl of soup.
4. Drive up island and look at the Gay Head Cliffs in the rain.
5. Go to the MV Museum.
6. Go to Chappy because it’s fun to be on the little ferry when the current is whipping this way and that.
7. Go to Vineyard Haven and watch the big ferry load and unload. (I admit it. I’m a little weird.)
8. Go to Chilmark and watch them make chocolates. (Then eat a bunch and get a massive sugar rush.)
9. Do laundry. (Bleccch. Can’t believe I said that.)
And the MOST fun thing to Do on a Rainy Day on the Vineyard
(you already guessed this from the picture):
STAY IN BED AND READ A GOOD BOOK!
Which is where I will be if you need me.